We're Hiring: Production Manager
We're hiring for a Production Manager! Our current Production Manager is moving into a new role as Operations Manager, and we need someone to fill her place! Read more about the role below, and if it seems like you're a good fit, send along your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Production Manager Job Description:
As our Production Manager, you will be responsible for leading our production kitchen, overseeing our kitchen team, and ensuring that every jar of nut butter is the best quality possible. You are a leader who creates community and drives the daily operations of our business. This is a full-time, salaried (exempt) role based in Portland, Oregon.
The right candidate to join our team must be someone that wants to develop new relationships, isn't afraid to get their hands dirty, and wants to make a positive impact in the world. We are looking for someone who finds reward in boosting someone’s confidence, and knowing that they are making a difference in the community by nurturing women’s personal and professional development.
Because of our employment training program, this is not your typical production position. We are looking for someone to help mentor the women on our team, someone who can actively listen to them, and can maintain a professional attitude in challenging or emotional situations.
While the work can be intense and demanding at times, we value maintaining a fun and light company culture. We blast kitchen jams, celebrate successes with sweet treats, and take time to lift one another up.
The Production Manager’s responsibilities include:
- Production Planning: Work with Operations Manager and Assistant Production Manager in planning and organizing the production schedule for each week
- Training Program Management: Oversee kitchen team on production days to ensure goals are met
- Maintain organization and efficiency of team during busy production days (2 to 3 days per week)
- Assign schedules and tasks to kitchen crew members (team of 8)
- Provide motivation, support and guidance to employees
- Keep team accountable for their output
- Own Production Process: Maintain orderly and prioritized workflow of operating procedures
- Learn to operate production machinery (mixing, filling, labeling machines)
- Ensure health, safety and quality standards are met
- Ensure cleanliness of the space and procedural compliance
- Coordinate team and operations to ensure that daily production goals are met or exceeded
- Drive company efficiencies by managing and lowering costs, meeting or exceeding budgeted goals
- Team Management: Oversee staffing, training, scheduling, and employee communication and performance evaluations
- Sit down for one-on-ones with each training program employee (7-8) every 2 weeks
- Play a large role in cultivating positive team culture
- Utilize leadership skills to create and promote an environment where employees are engaged, empowered, and committed to the success of the company
- Quality Control + Taste
- Kitchen Sanitation and Hazard Planning
- Expected to attend trainings on kitchen sanitation and protocol to stay up to date with current requirements and regulations
- Maintain high standards of quality and kitchen sanitation
- Update HACCP plan according to production changes
- Storage Oversight: Ensure raw materials and finished goods are properly put away and organized.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a strong communicator and team player
- Has a leadership mindset, and is willing to take initiative to find resolutions
- Is a supreme multi-tasker—able to prioritize multiple projects and tasks
- Is passionate about social justice, empowering women and creating a more equitable food system
- Experience in manufacturing and production operations
- Has a positive attitude
- Is detail-oriented and organized
- Is comfortable managing a team and mentoring employees (prior experience ideal)
- Has had experience working with vulnerable populations before, and/or is familiar with diversity and inclusion practices in the workplace
- Has their Food Handlers License and has worked in a commercial kitchen previously (ideal, but not required)
- Is skilled in active listening
- Can lift 50 lbs, isn’t afraid of machinery and is willing to jump in and get their hands dirty
This is a full-time, salaried role with the paid holidays, PTO, paid sick time and the opportunity for health care reimbursement after 90 days. There is also the opportunity to earn commission if you are interested in a sales side hustle.
Start Date: No later than February 1, 2021.
If interested, send your resume and cover letter to Ground Up's co-founders at email@example.com. The application deadline is January 20, 2021.