We're Hiring: Operations Manager
We’re looking for an organized and motivated Operations Manager to keep things at Ground Up running smoothly! This role is perfect for someone who loves Excel and systems thinking, who thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and who is excited about the idea of working at a company surrounded by womxn on a mission.
About Us: Ground Up PDX is a small-batch nut butter company that employs women overcoming adversity to provide them with job skills and training to get back on their feet. We produce peanut-free, honey-sweetened nut butters in flavors such as Cinnamon Snickerdoodle and Coconut Cardamom. Our products are sold in New Seasons, Whole Foods, Fred Meyer, and other PNW retailers.
Ground Up is at a pivotal stage in our growth journey. We’re a fast-growing social enterprise that is entering new markets, forming new distributor relationships, and growing the team—and we’re looking for an Operations Manager to help take us to that next level. As our Operations Manager, you will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations at Ground Up HQ. You are a leader who creates community, solves problems, and drives the daily operations of our business. You ensure that all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. From inventory management to wholesale pallets to production to staffing, you have insight into it all and help to keep things streamlined.
This is a full-time, salaried (exempt) role based in Portland, Oregon. You’ll be working alongside a passionate team of womxn in our SE Portland office / warehouse space!
- DAY TO DAY MANAGER
- Work closely with co-founders to ensure that company goals and objectives are being met, and serve as the liaison between our operations team and co-founders
- Manage the day to day operations of the business, including oversight of everything that is coming and going from the warehouse, everything that is produced in the kitchen, warehouse staffing, inventory levels, supplies, etc.
- You will report directly to co-founders Julie and Carolyn and are a key decision maker and leader on our team
- PRODUCTION PLANNING + FORECASTING
- Set and manage the production schedule to ensure we are meeting sales orders (we currently produce 3 days per week)
- Forecast production (including raw goods and finished inventory) for the coming months
- Oversee procurement, supply management, and contract negotiations with vendors
- Work to lower our COGS and ensuring we’re operating as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible
- Manage inventory levels and allocation across channels
- TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Directly manage our production, warehouse and fulfillment teams, which include our Production Manager, Warehouse Manager, Wholesale Supervisor, Procurement Manager and fulfillment associates (6-10 people)
- Sit down for manager check-ins with each direct report every month
- Create and publish weekly staff schedules for the company, specifically the warehouse team
- Work with Production Manager on weekly staffing for production
- Supervise warehouse team on a daily basis to ensure that goals and expectations are being met. Find ways to increase productivity if needed.
- Hire, train and onboard new team members when needed (e.g. bringing on additional seasonal help around the holidays)
- Play a large role in cultivating positive team culture and motivating employees
- Provide coverage in the case of team absences
- ORDER FULFILLMENT
- Supervise the fulfillment of all orders leaving the warehouse, including online, Amazon, wholesale, grocery, pallet orders and corporate gift orders
- Ensure that orders get filled efficiently
- Work with wholesale and online leads to allocate inventory and fulfillment resources
- CUSTOMER + DISTRIBUTOR COMMUNICATION
- Work with customers (grocery stores, corporate gifting clients, Faire + Hubba customers, etc.) to communicate delivery dates, send invoices and confirm orders
- Manage distributor relationships including Sysco, DPI and Foundation Brands and UNFI, including investigating chargeback inquiries, scheduling POs, etc.
- Handle all freight communication for pallets coming and going from the warehouse
- WAREHOUSE EFFICIENCY
- Oversee warehouse operations, including order fulfillment and shipping (mentioned above), as well as tasting flight creation, supply ordering, staffing, forklifting and organization
- Determine and track operational KPIs to ensure we are on track and meeting goals
We are looking for someone who:
- Has 2-5 years of experience in operations at a CPG company
- Has 2-5 years of experience managing a team and mentoring employees
- Is a strong communicator and team player
- Has a leadership mindset, and is willing to take initiative to find resolutions
- Is a supreme multi-tasker—able to prioritize multiple projects and tasks
- Is passionate about social justice, empowering women and creating a more equitable food system
- Has a positive attitude
- Is detail-oriented and organized
- Has had experience working with vulnerable populations before, and/or is familiar with diversity and inclusion practices in the workplace
- Can lift 25 lbs and work on their feet for 6-8 hours per day (if needed)
Benefits + Pay: Salaried $60-75k, DOE. Paid Holidays + Sick Time. Health Care Reimbursement + PTO.
Commitment: Full Time, 40-45 hours per week
Start Date: ASAP
Location: 657 SE Yamhill St. Portland, OR 97214
Application: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
At Ground Up, we maintain an open hiring policy and aim to create and cultivate a community that is diverse across race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, identity, experience, and perspective— where every employee feels supported to apply their whole self to our collective mission.