We're Hiring: Production Apprentice
We’re hiring Production Apprentices for our Apprenticeship Program. As a Production Apprentice, you will work with a team of womxn, contributing to our supportive work environment and modeling our core values in the production of nut butters.
As a Production Apprentice, we will offer hands on training, coaching, and professional support, in addition to monthly job-readiness workshops. During this apprenticeship, we will support skills development and professional growth to find success in the job market.
About Us: Ground Up PDX is a local, woman-owned, small-batch nut butter company that employs womxn overcoming adversity to provide them with job skills and training to get back on their feet. We produce peanut-free, honey-sweetened nut butters in flavors such as Cinnamon Snickerdoodle and Coconut Cardamom. Our products are sold in New Seasons, Whole Foods, Fred Meyer, and other PNW retailers.
Type of Position: Part-Time, Non-exempt, Hourly, 6-9 Month Commitment
Hours: 15-20 hours / week, Tuesday and Wednesday, 9-5
Location: 657 SE Yamhill St., Portland OR, 97214
Role and Responsibilities:
Production Support (Commercial Kitchen)
- Assist in all aspects of the production process from filling and lidding jars, labeling, mixing and tamper-sealing jars, dishwashing and cleaning
- Learn to assemble and operate kitchen machinery including mixing machine, filling machine and labeling machine
- Offer peer support in training new members of the team on machinery and processes
- Organize and move products
- Maintain efficiency, quality standards and adherence to health and safety protocol while working in the kitchen
- Able to follow instructions, be open to coaching, engage in feedback and offer peer support to other team members
- Assist with order packing, pallet creation, and seasonal flight making as requested
- Any other task that is assigned by operational leadership
- Able to obtain an Oregon Food Handler’s Certification within first week of employment
- Ability to operate machines in a safe manner
- Ability to maintain attention to detail while working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to learn and apply company standards including, but not limited to time tracking; safety practices, GMPs, SOP’s, employee handbook, etc.
- Ability to follow quality standards and ensure those standards are met
- Ability to work in a team; strong sense of community
- Motivated and positive attitude
- Punctual and can reliably report to work on time
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills and take on new roles
- Openness to on-the-job coaching, mentoring, and skills development
- Participation in group and individual educational workshops
- Able to work in an environment containing tree nuts, and other allergens. (Note: We are a peanut free facility)
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds, stand and move around for a full work day and perform grasping, squeezing, and twisting motions with or without reasonable accommodations
This job is performed in a commercial kitchen and warehouse environment. It can be noisy at times with machinery and equipment running, music playing, and people and products moving constantly.
Reports To: Operations Manager/Assistant Operations Manager
- Sick time accrual
- Paid educational workshops and job coaching
- Peer support and mentoring
- Free Ground Up nut butters and other goodies
Pay: $15.50 /hr