We're Hiring: Entry-Level Production Associate
We’re looking for a high-energy, part-time Production Associate to support our operations and enhance our fast-growing team. As a Production Associate, you will work with a team of womxn, contributing to our supportive work environment and modeling our core values in the production of nut butters.
Job Summary: This position is responsible for learning and performing basic entry-level production tasks. This position is responsible for ensuring that our product is produced, packaged and stored thoroughly, efficiently, and safely. This position will be working on a team with other production, warehouse, and business employees. This position will be required to follow Ground Up’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) that ensure the safety of our employees, consumers, and quality end product.
About Us: Ground Up PDX is a local, woman-owned, small-batch nut butter company that employs womxn overcoming adversity to provide them with job skills and training to get back on their feet. We produce peanut-free, honey-sweetened nut butters in flavors such as Cinnamon Snickerdoodle and Coconut Cardamom. Our products are sold in New Seasons, Whole Foods, Fred Meyer, and other PNW retailers.
What makes us different: All entry-level production staff complete a “Production Apprenticeship” phase where you get the chance to learn the job hands-on, with extra coaching, and support during individual and group workshops. During this apprenticeship phase, you will also discuss and explore potential pathways for your professional development and set goals to work toward together while you are at Ground Up.
Type of Position: Non-exempt, hourly
Hours: 16-24 hours / week, Tuesday and Wednesday, typically 9-5 although hours vary depending on season and could be 8-6 on certain days with prior communication *Third day depending on needs of the business*
Location: 657 SE Yamhill St., Portland OR, 97214
Role and Responsibilities:
Production Support (Commercial Kitchen)
- Support the Assistant Operations Manager as a member of the production team on production days to ensure goals are met in nut butter production
- Assist in all aspects of the production process from filling and lidding jars, labeling, mixing and tamper-sealing jars, dishwashing and cleaning
- Learn to assemble and operate kitchen machinery including mixing machine, filling machine and labeling machine
- Offer peer support in training new members of the team on machinery and processes
- Organize and move products from the warehouse to the kitchen
- Maintain efficiency, quality standards and adherence to health and safety protocol while working in the kitchen
- Able to follow instructions, be open to coaching, engage in feedback and offer peer support to other team members
- Assist with order packing, pallet creation, and seasonal flight making as requested
- Any other task that is assigned by operational leadership
Warehouse Support - Ad Hoc Tasks - Optional additional hours
- Assist in packing pallets and fulfilling online orders
- Assist in 4oz tampering, making flights and other product offerings
- Able to obtain an Oregon Food Handler’s Certification within first week of employment
- Ability to communicate and understand instructions in English (or have access to translation assistance from referral partner)
- Ability to operate machines in a safe manner
- Ability to maintain attention to detail while working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to learn and apply company standards including, but not limited to time tracking; safety practices, GMPs, SOP’s, employee handbook, etc.
- Ability to follow quality standards and ensure those standards are met
- Ability to work in a team; strong sense of community
- Motivated and positive attitude
- Punctual and can reliably report to work on time
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills and take on new roles
- Openness to on-the-job coaching, mentoring, and skills development
- Able to work in an environment containing tree nuts, and other allergens. (Note: We are a peanut free facility)
- Continuously required to work on your feet for 8+ hours with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift, frequent wrist twists and lift 25lbs
- Must be able to continuously work with your arms, hands and wrists; grasping and squeezing at a rapid pace for the entirety of your shift
- US Work Authorization required
- At least 18 years of age
- Drug and alcohol-free workplace, with a zero tolerance policy
- Open to work-readiness and life-skills coaching (for example, attendance, communication, teamwork); participation in group and individual educational workshops and activities (for example goal-setting, resume writing, and interview skills)
This job is performed in a commercial kitchen and warehouse environment. It can be noisy at times with machinery and equipment running, music playing, and people and products moving constantly.
Reports To: Operations Manager/Assistant Operations Manager
- Sick time accrual
- Paid educational workshops and job coaching
- Peer support and mentoring
- Free Ground Up nut butters and other goodies
Pay: $15.50 /hr