Banana Bread Rice Krispie Treats
Let's be honest: we still haven't outgrown this childhood favorite. Rice Krispie Treats hold a special place in our hearts.... they're sweet and salty, perfectly chewy and—in most cases—ridiculously sweet. This version hits the mark taste-wise, but it's *slightly* healthier and also conveniently dairy-free!
We made this recipe with our Nutty Banana Bread nut butter (made in collaboration with Laura Wright of The First Mess) but you could use any nut butter for it. Although—the banana bread meets rice krispie treat combo is kind of mind-blowing! And of course, we added chocolate. Because we couldn't resist.
- 1/2 cup Nutty Banana Bread nut butter (or substitute for your fave)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 8 oz marshmallows
- 3 cups brown rice crisps cereal (we love Barbara's)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt (to finish)
- Optional: 1 oz freeze-dried banana chips, diced
- In a saucepan over low heat, gently heat the coconut oil, nut butter + brown rice syrup until it melts into a thick liquid.
- Add the marshmallows, and stir slowly and continuously until they melt. (The texture should be a thick, sticky paste.) Be careful not to burn them by having the heat too high, or cooking for too long.
- In a large bowl, add the brown rice crisps cereal. Pour the marshmallow-nut butter mixture over the cereal, slowly stirring with a wooden spoon to incorporate. Continue to mix until the cereal is completed coated. (It will be very sticky!)
- Mix in the chocolate chips (and freeze-dried bananas, if using) until evenly distributed.
- Transfer mixture to a parchment-lined baking pan (approx. 10" x 10"), and use a spatula to press it down evenly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Place in the refrigerator to let them cool / harden for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, slice into squares, and enjoy!