Spicy Tahini-Cashew Banana Bread Skillet
This (slightly) spicy and not-too-sweet banana bread skillet is gluten-free, dairy-free, and super tasty! We used our new Spicy Tahini-Cashew butter for this, but any nut butter would work great!
You may be wondering about the incorporation of chilli powder here but let us tell you: IT WORKS! It’s super subtle and just hits you at the end, so if you’d like a bigger kick, feel free to add more to the batter. Paired with warm cinnamon and sweet bananas, the chilli powder creates a nice burst of flavor.
Recipe adapted from The Toasted Pinenut
- 3 ripe bananas (1 is for decor on top)
- 1/2 cup Spicy Tahini-Cashew Butter w/ Diaspora Chillies
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (honey or agave would also work)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp chilli powder (we recommend Diaspora, obviously :)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks (optional)
- To Finish: Black Sesame Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Chilli Powder, Flaky Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mash 2 bananas.
- Add the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Add chilli powder, cinnamon, almond flour, baking powder and salt, and stir to combine.
- Mix in the chocolate chunks, if using. (We just like to add chocolate to everything.)
- Transfer the batter to your skillet.
- Slice the last banana lengthwise into thirds, and place the slices on top for display. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, chilli powder and flaky sea salt.
- Transfer to oven, and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is firm and light brown in color.