Birthday Cupcakes with Snickerdoodle Frosting
This festive cupcake recipe is the perfect way to celebrate! The fluffy, creamy Snickerdoodle frosting is truly divine. And don't forget to add extra sprinkles, of course!
- ½ cup vegan or regular butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose gluten-free or regular flour
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (I used imitation vanilla extract here - it gives the cupcakes more of a Funfetti flavor. However, regular vanilla works great, too!)
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup almond milk
- ⅓ cup brightly colored sprinkles
- 1 cup vegan or regular butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Cinnamon Snickerdoodle Almond + Cashew Butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (again, I used imitation vanilla, but regular works too)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- Brightly colored sprinkles for topping!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To prevent sticking, line a standard muffin tin with liners, spray or grease.
2. In a large bowl with a handheld mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract and beat until combined.
4. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Pour in almond milk and mix until combined. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and beat for about 1 minute.
6. Add the sprinkles and fold gently by hand until sprinkles are incorporated throughout the batter.
7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out mostly clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and letting cool on a wire rack.
8. For Snickerdoodle frosting: While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In a large bowl with a handheld mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and Cinnamon Snickerdoodle Almond + Cashew Butter on high until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar with the mixer on low until combined. Mix in the vanilla extract and salt. With mixer still on low, add milk, then increase speed to high and beat until completely combined. Frosting should be creamy and fluffy.
9. When cupcakes are completely cool, pipe or spread the icing on. Top with extra sprinkles + enjoy!