Healthy Hot Cocoa with Nut Butter, 4 Ways
Lauren of So Fresh N So Green has mastered hot cocoa — and she’s taught us that a little nut butter will bring any hot cocoa recipe to life!
So it’s time to ditch the sugary, processed (and let's be honest, bland) hot cocoa packets for these rich, creamy, and superfood-stacked hot cocoa recipes.
Lauren’s created four hot cocoa recipes below (each featuring a different Ground Up nut butter!) that will be sure to suit any palette or craving. They’re sure to satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way!
Base for Healthy Hot Cocoa:
- 12 oz non-dairy milk such as cashew, macadamia, Brazil nut, almond, hemp or oat
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 dates, pitted and chopped
- Optional 1-2 squares clean dark chocolate such as Hu Kitchen, Eating Evolved or Honey Mama's to make super chocolatey
Option 1: CBD Lavender Honey
- 1 tbsp Ground Up Lavender Honey Nut Butter*
- 1 serving high-quality, consciously sourced CBD oil such as Soul Addict
- Optional 1-2 drops pure therapeutic grade lavender essential oil (I like DoTerra)
*if you don't have this limited-edition flavor, no worries! You can use any of our other nut butters.
Option 2: Sea Salt + Hazelnut
- 1 tbsp Ground Up's Oregon Hazelnut Butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Optional drizzle of maple syrup or adaptogen like reishi mushroom
Option 3: Coconut Cardamom
- 1 tbsp Ground Up Coconut Cardamom Nut Butter
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- Optional adaptogen like ashwaganda
Option 4: Cinnamon Cookie Collagen
- 1 tbsp Ground Up Cinnamon Snickerdoodle Nut Butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 serving collagen powder (I love Vital Proteins)
Optional Boosters To Any Combo -- collagen powder, adaptogens, or CBD oil
- Heat a stovetop pot over medium heat and add in coconut oil and chocolate pieces until melted, then stir in cacao powder, forming a paste at the bottom of the pot.
- Once mixed add in nut milk, dates and the additional ingredients required for whatever flavor combo you're making.
- Let warm over the stove-top at medium heat for 5-10 minutes. You want it steaming, but not boiling.
- Once everything is warm and mixed, pour into a blender and pulse until creamy, frothy and smooth.
- Serve in your fave mug and enjoy!